After a small beginning, 130 some years later, the Hôpital de Mattawa Hospital is located in a brand new state of the art building since October 2008 at 217 Turcotte Park Road, just off of the Trans Canada Highway.
In 1878, a modest hospital of five beds was built on Timmins Street, next to the home of Miss Annie Lamot. It was a combination of chapel and hospital. It was staffed initially by 3 nuns of the Grey Nuns of the Cross now known as the Sisters of Charity. From the beginning the Hospital has provided high quality care to its patients. In addition to hospital care, the Sisters regularly travelled to shanties to care for sick lumberjacks. During those days, travel meant rough trails, which frequently pushed through forest and marshy trails. This gives an idea of some of the hardships these missionaries had to under go in order to accomplish their duty among the sick. In the summer, they journeyed by canoe and on foot, plagued by mosquitoes and heat, whereas in the winters, they used snowshoes, often sleeping outdoors overnight in the quiet of the forest, their only shelter.
The first hospital burned to the ground in 1885, two months before construction of the new two storey facility on the Rosemount site was complete. The Mattawa Hospital was the only hospital for hundreds of miles around. In addition, to catering to the needs of the immediate community , it also served as a medical centre for the large Temiskaming District which at that time, extended to the most northern part of Ontario and over James Bay. Mattawa was the first large out post of civilization in this vast area.
In the year 1901, Mattawa sustained a great loss when for the second time, fire destroyed the hospital. The community rallied and construction of a new two-storey red brick hospital was completed in 1902. The new hospital had a 52-bed capacity and came to be known as the “Pride of the North”. In 1927, a new wing was added to cope with the increasing medical needs of a booming lumber town.
In 1966 fire struck a third time, prefabricated building of wood and plywood were shipped to Mattawa from Calgary, Alberta to temporarily house patient activities. The resulting hospital had 31-beds with 39 staff members which included eight Sisters and contained a nursing unit, emergency facilities, operating theatre, laboratory, x-ray, pharmacy and maternity section.
In the early 1980’s as the population of the town began to decline they cut surgical and obstetrical services.
In 1992, the Hospital was officially designated bilingual under Ontario’s French-Language Services Act
In 1997, the hospital transferred the governance and management of the hospital from Sisters of Charity to Mattawa General Hospital.
In April 2001, to better serve the residents of Mattawa and the surrounding townships of Calvin, Mattawan, Papineau- Cameron, Bonfield and Head, Clara and Maria we received approval from the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-term Care to build a new Mattawa Hospital Inc.
In October 2008 we moved into our new Hôpital de Mattawa Hospital
Grand Opening Celebration - A Success!
The Grand Opening of the All-New Hôpital de Mattawa Hospital was held on Saturday, October 25th, 2008!
Thanks to everyone who came out to help celebrate this wonderful day!
View a video of our Grand Opening Celebration
On behalf of the Mattawa Hospital’s staff, senior management and Board of Directors, we wish to thank everyone who participated in the grand opening of our new Hospital. It is largely due to the continued support and contributions from each and every one of you that has made this dream a reality, and this grand opening day a possibility.